​Chatsworth, CA     818-341-7351

​​​Simi Valley, CA        805-526-7351

Fee Waiver Package
Notice of Change of Address


Promissory Note and Deed of Trust Package

The By The People™ Document Preparation Center  Deed of Trust can be used to record a lien against real estate when the property is used as security for a loan or other obligation.

The Deed of Trust (sometimes called a Trust Deed) is a three-party instrument that is evidence of a debt.  There is the borrower (the grantor), the lender (the beneficiary) and the trustee.  When recorded, the Deed of Trust grants to the lender/beneficiary a lien interest in the real estate. Technically, the title to the real estate passes to a third person called a trustee whose job it is to hold the bare legal title to the real estate as well as to foreclose in the event of a default in the underlying obligation or to reconvey the title when the debt or other obligation is paid in full.

For many deeds of trust, the beneficiary and the trustee may be the same person, although they do not have to be. 

The Deed of Trust are almost always recorded with the County Recorder in the county where the real estate is located.

The By The People™ Document Preparation Center Promissory Note form is used to document that a borrower (the maker)
agrees or promises to pay back money to a lender (the holder) according to specified terms.

The terms of the Promissory Note form include the amount borrowed (the principal amount), the interest rate, the dates payments begin and end, the amount of each payment, and any late fees. 

The Promissory Note form is generally not recorded.  During the term of the loan, the lender retains the promissory note.  When the loan is paid, the promissory note is marked “paid in full” and returned to the borrower.


Promissory Note

Small claims court is a special court where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively. The rules are simple and informal and can be a quick and inexpensive way to collect a debt on your own.  The court procedures are informal, not intimidating.  And a judge, instead of a jury, usually decides the case.

Any individual, business or corporation may bring a small claims suit for the recovery of money when the amount requested is $7,500 or less.  Sometimes the cost of hiring a lawyer totals more than the money you're owed.  So if the amount owed is $8,000, for example, some people cut their losses and go after only $7,500 of it so that they can sue in small claims court where the procedures are relatively simple and faster than in other courts.
An individual cannot ask for more than $7,500 in a claim.  You can file as many claims as you want for up to $2,500 each, but you can only file two claims in a calendar year that ask for more than $2,500.  If you want to ask for more than $7,500 you need to sue in the civil division of the superior court and not in small claims court.  This is not something By The People™ Document Preparation Center can assist you with.

There are different kinds of cases that are heard in small claims court.  The most common are: car accidents, property damage, landlord/tenant rent deposit disputes, and collection of money owed.

 It's not easy to figure out if it's too late to file a lawsuit in small claims court.  If you're not sure, you can file your case and let the judge decide.


Small Claims Court Package

Request for Dismissal Package
Substitution of Attorney
Writ of Execution

Deed of Trust